Thursday 14 March 2013

Today in history

The Papal bull Injunctum nobis (14 March 1543) - 470 years ago - removed the restriction that the Society of Jesus could have only 60 members.  Without that, we might not have Pope Francis today.
  But the day is significant in other ways.  One hundred Thirty-four years ago, Albert Einstein was born.  And in these last days - 62 years ago - I was born. 
  There are other things, too, of course, but you will have to look them up for yourself.  In our family, the 62nd birthday has special significance.  Both my father and one uncle died just before their 62nd birthdays, so it is a milestone of sorts to reach it.  For me personally, besides being alive, I have opted to take my US Social Security rather than wait another 4 years, though the first cheque doesn't come till May 3rd.  It will be the padding we might need while in Guyana, or just extra money when we get back.
  And the special things I'm doing today?  Vivian had planned to give me a pastry with a candle in it when we visited the Thursday Market, but before that we had an appointment for our final booster for childhood diseases.  The doctor was late [not in the terminal sense], so by the time we got to the Market, the group we hang with had already departed - alas and alack.  So we came home without our mini-celebration.  My older brother did call on Skype, so we had a short conversation. A friend sent an eCard.  Vivian said the watch we bought on Monday was my present. Our son sent a brief message on Facebook.  And tonight, there is a meeting of the Lunenburg Photo Club.
  I'm sure that Pope Francis is having a much more interesting and busier day.  Does he set his own schedule?  Does he know how many people work in the Vatican? [According to one estimate by Pope John XXIII, about half of them :-) ]  Does he know which path the Church of Rome should take? He might get the chance later today to unseal the Papal Apartments so the cleaners can get in to spruce the place up, but he still won't be moving in just yet.  With 1.2 Billion Roman Catholics and countless others watching, I'm sure he is very careful about each step he takes.

Considering the alternatives, give me the quiet day.

No comments:

Post a Comment